2008-07-02

Day Twenty-Two: Bloomington Express

We woke at 0530. With my bag pre-packed the night before, I was able to do my most sensitive clothing changes in my sleeping bag and be ready faster than usual. I used my extra time in the morning to download Keith's PowerTap data, since I had lent him the PowerTap wheel yesterday (much to his amusement).

After what will likely go down as the very best breakfast of the entire trip, and a short prayer led by the pastor, our group departed Rushville, IN. I rolled out at 0730. I decided I was excited to see Bloomington, and would likely battle the headwinds alone.

There is a daily question for me, between getting to socialize (and riding slower than is comfortable for me) and getting exercise (and riding faster than everyone in an attempt to raise the heart rate). I usually choose exercise, as it's safer with this group of riders.

I made my way to the front of the pack in about 20 minutes. Along the way, I made my rounds, saying "Good Morning" to everyone I passed and checking in on previous issues.

Life up front is good. I get to maximize the amount of mileage I cover in the mornings, before the heat and wind really set in. It's also quiet, and somewhat lonely, but the endorphines from riding at power help with that. I bypassed lunch, stopped in a McDonald's in Nashville, IN to cool off and rehydrate, and arrived in Bloomington at 1243.

Tomorrow is a mail drop day, but since the Post Office is across the street from our church, I collected everyone's mail. We got some goodies, including a (plush) tetrahedral tack from Dave Miller, chocolate covered edamame from Tracy Heckler, and best of all, my aero helmet, courtesy of Mike Short! The aero helmet is my latest weapon in the war against wind, and worn backwards, it's a chicken hat.

After dinner, we watched Breaking Away, which was filmed entirely here in Bloomington, IN some thirty years ago. There are thunderstorms in the forecast tomorrow, preventing any potential visits to quarries or trips to draft tractor trailers down State Highway 37.

In the evening's ensuing silliness, I told some riders about my quoting policy. I decided at some point that I got really sick of stupid references to popular culture, videos on YouTube, the television, and the like. I decided that I was probably clever enough to say interesting things without other people's help. Some of my trademark quotes, like "Oh Boy!", "facebreakers", and "a world of unpleasantries" are original. I don't need a conference room of advertising and marketing executives in some faceless New York skyscraper to generate quips and jingles. An example:

Accu-Trac (describing Facebook.com, sung to the tune of the old Spiderman theme):

Accu-trac, Accu-trac
Once you sign up, you can't go back
Follows you, knows where you live
Your information, you did give
Watch OUT! Accu-trac's watching you.

Accu-trac, Accu-trac
Once you sign up, you can't go back
You gave up your privacy
So everyone can clearly see
That NOW! Accu-trac's watching you.

Accu-trac, Accu-trac
Once you sign up, you can't go back
Put you pictures on the net
So that no one will forget
You FOOL! Accu-trac's watching you.


(I have strong feelings on this topic. See my Facebook paper.)

Today was an excellent day, with much socializing, and perhaps insufficient sleep.