2010-04-17

Old La Honda Road in 16m14s

I skipped racing this weekend to hang out at home, do some much needed cleaning, and of course, attack Old La Honda Road. For my record attempt, I pared down all unneeded weight. I rode my SL3 with the Zipp 303s, and removed the bottle cages and bolts. I left my helmet at the base of the climb, and wore the lightest shoes, socks, shorts, and jersey I own. The only weight concession was leaving the SRM on the bike.

I averaged 407 watts for the 16m14s it took to climb OLH. This is good, but not a personal best. I think I could be sub-16 at some point. It is all a matter of pacing. The record is supposedly sub-14: Kalen tells me "Scott Moniger did it in 13:50 and Eric Heiden did it in 13:55", although I've heard elsewhere that Heiden's best was 14:10.