2008-06-11

Day One: Orientation, Revere, MA

Today was officially the first day of our cross country adventure. The leader team finally got to ride bikes today, going for a check of the shakedown ride. After the short 15 mile ride, we came back to St. Anthony's of Padua church in Revere to finish some pre-arrival tasks.

The riders began to arrive at 1pm, many by car, many by public transit. The other leaders helped with indoor check in while I worked on bicycles. After my experience last year, I decided it would be a good idea to rebuild and check everyone's bicycles, including a test ride. I spent most of the afternoon working on people's bikes, and had more fun than I have in a while.

We went through our presentations today. These were the usual talks on policy, chore groups, the Bike & Build day, and whatnot. The group's level of knowledge and desire to learn is high.

We're off to a strong start. Let's see how things go tomorrow. I'm optimistic.