2009-01-23

So I've Been Busy...


If you know me, you know of my legendary hatred of cold weather. That's right, ladies and gentlemen: just because I've spent almost all of my life in New York or New England, does not mean that I like the weather! I've been spending many hours, on my Kreitler 2.25" rollers, and my PowerCranks, watching the miles tick away while not going anywhere.

Writing about base training is difficult due to the inherent lack of glamor it involves. I'm riding, 1-2 hours a day, at an even pace, with some variation. Sometimes I ride with team mates, other times I ride alone. I go to the supermarket more often in an effort to eat enough food and recover properly every day. Two hours on PowerCranks still feels like a really long time.

There is some excitement in the works! My first race of the season will be an indoor 10km time trial on a Computrainer. It's at 10am at Landry's Bikes in Boston, MA.

I'm working on piecing together a time trial bike out of an old Motobecane Nemesis frame that I got for a song. It addresses all of the fit issues with the Fuji Aloha CF2: the seat tube is more vertical (76 deg versus 73.5 - it matters!), it accepts standard seatposts (so I can use my Thomson set-forward post), and the head tube is much shorter (for a lower position in the front). With longer cranks, time trial rings, and a disc wheel in the rear, this bike is purpose-built for going very fast. That Fuji frame did not go to waste: it makes an excellent race bike, and will be even better once a couple of parts arrive in the mail. Stay tuned...