2012-02-01

[JEP Coaching Scholarship] Report for Week 07 (ending 2012-01-29)

The slow and steady progression back into form continues.

The warmer weather and earlier sunrise made training easier this week. I've settled on taking Caltrain to and from work for the time being. The good news is that this makes some logistics much easier. The bad news is that I can't combine my commute with training this way, so training time suffers.

One of the constant challenges is making the most of the training time that I have available. Dan wants me to train more, and keeps pushing me in the direction of putting in more hours. I'm pushing back. Between dieting, long hours at work, and really not riding very much for several months before training again in earnest, I'm better served by quality than volume. Burnout has been a problem for me in the past. I am trying to avoid it this year by being conservative and realistic. When the weather is nice, the days are long, and I'm in good form, putting in the hours does not seem like a challenge at all. (It's barely February!)

Weekly Overview:

Workouts:
01-23 Monday
Prescribed: 1h Z2-Z3 ride plus 30 min stretching session.
Actual: Unable to do rides today due to time constraints.

01-24 Tuesday
Prescribed: 1h Crossfit, 1h Z2 ride, 1h rollers session with Z4 efforts in PM
Actual: Did Crossfit, plus ride to and from. Hang power cleans continue to be a challenge. Evening rollers workout is harder to start than it is to complete. Z4 efforts are getting more solid, I'm seeing somewhere around 360-380W+ in efforts.

01-25 Wednesday
Prescribed: 1h30m road ride plus 30min stretching session.
Actual: 1h30m Z2-Z3 rollers ride, plus 30 min stretching session.

01-26 Thursday
Prescribed: 1h Crossfit, plus 1h in aerobars on TT bike on rollers (in PM?)
Actual: Did Crossfit, with more lifting and Tabatas. We're starting to do plyometrics: jumps, bounds, etc. I need to make some improvements to my form in bounds. Logistical challenges prevented me from getting my TT biek ready, so I rode to and from Crossfit as usual.

01-27 Friday
Prescribed: 2h+ road ride with four 10min Z4 efforts.
Actual: Did prescribed intervals on rollers.

01-28 Saturday
Prescribed: 4h road ride with some Z3 efforts.
Actual: Long 5.5 hour road ride. Up Kings, down 92, down 1 to Pescadero, along Old Haul Road (trail!) to Portola Redwoods State Park. Up West Alpine, down dirt Alpine. Gorgeous day. Too bad my computer died an hour or so from home; the weekly summary numbers below don't reflect the tail end of the ride.

01-29 Sunday
Prescribed: Day off.
Actual: As prescribed!

Weekly summary:
Time: 12 h 34 min
Distance: 182 miles
TSS: 878

(Distance and TSS only incorporate rides for which I have power data.)

I've copied this report to my blog at http://bikefleet.blogspot.com/, where you can also find past updates, race reports, and more!

Thanks for reading.

--Jose