2012-02-07

[JEP Coaching Scholarship] Report for Week 08 (ending 2012-02-05)

We have been very fortunate, here in the Bay Area, to have one of the driest "winters" on record. Indeed, I was able to get in a good ride this Saturday. It was a repeat of last Saturday's ride, along Old Haul Road, but dry conditions on the trail are better than wet.

Weight loss progresses well. I'm slightly ahead of my target. I can already feel that the reduced weight makes life going easier uphill. Yes, I've lost weight before, and this is nothing new, but it is still a good feeling.

It will be at least another two weeks before my cracked SL3 frameset is back in my hands from Calfee. My repurposed cyclocross/commuter bike fits me well and is a fine training bike, as long as I avoid the brakes!

Doing the prescribed workouts continues to be at odds with my work schedule.

Weekly Overview:

Workouts:
01-30 Monday
Prescribed: 1h Z2-Z3 ride plus stretching session.
Actual: 1h Z2-Z3 on rollers; no time for stretching session.

01-31 Tuesday
Prescribed: 1h Crossfit plus 1h30m tempo ride in AM; 1h Z4 efforts in PM.
Actual: 1h Crossfit plus about 1h Z3 tempo ride to/from Crossfit in AM, plus 1h rollers ride with two 20min Z4 efforts at low cadence.

02-01 Wednesday
Prescribed: 1h30m Z2 ride (some Z3 okay) plus 30min stretching session.
Actual: 1h30m rollers ride before work. No time for stretching session with work schedule.

02-02 Thursday
Prescribed: 1h Crossfit plus 1h30m tempo ride.
Actual: 1h Crossfit plus 1h Z3 tempo ride to/from Crossfit in AM.

02-03 Friday
Prescribed: 2-3h ride with two 20min Z4 hill climb efforts. Climbs include 30-60s Z5 bursts every few minutes. 30min stretching session in PM.
Actual: No riding or stretching today.

02-04 Saturday
Prescribed: 4h road ride with climbing, aim for 40+ minutes Z4. 30min stretching session after.
Actual: 5h13m road ride: up Kings, down 92 West, down 1 and Stage, out Old Haul, up Portola Redwoods and West Alpine, down Alpine - same as last week. Good ride. Did 20min stretching after.

02-05 Sunday
Prescribed: Day off, 1-2h Z3 ride option.
Actual: 2h15m Z2-Z3 road ride with one Z4 effort up Kings; made it up in under 25 minutes. Watched the Super Bowl afterward.

Weekly summary:
Time: 16 h 15 min
Distance: 241 miles
TSS: 1238

(Distance and TSS only incorporate rides for which I have power data.)

I've copied this report to my blog at http://bikefleet.blogspot.com/, where you can also find past updates, race reports, and more!

Thanks for reading.

--Jose