2012-02-14

[JEP Coaching Scholarship] Report for Week 09 (ending 2012-02-12)

Weekly Overview:

Rain and cold returned to NorCal just in time for training camp. This was the hardest week yet - over 20h between riding, Crossfit, and stretching/massage sessions. I had a good week in training, and am looking forward to an easy week coming up.

I hit one of my weight targets (180 lbs) a couple of weeks early. If/when I get down to 175 lbs, I'd like to get a DXA scan to see just what my body composition is.

Workouts:
02-06 Monday
Prescribed: 1h30m Z2 ride (some Z3-Z4 OK) plus 30min stretching session.
Actual: Managed to get in just under 1h15m of riding. No time for stretching session today.

02-07 Tuesday
Prescribed: 1h Crossfit (stretching, lifts, Tabata intervals) plus 1h30m Z3 riding
Actual: Did Crossfit - it was challenging with two Tabata interval sets. Managed to get in just under 1h15m of Z2-Z3 riding, some on the rollers. (It is still cold.)

02-08 Wednesday
Prescribed: 1h30m Z2 ride (some Z3-Z4 OK) plus 30min stretching session.
Actual: 1h30m of rollers, Z2-Z3. Managed to get in 15min of stretching.

02-09 Thursday
Prescribed: 1h Crossfit in AM, 1h rollers ride with 4 x 10min Z4 efforts.
Actual: Did Crossfit - lighter day than usual due to Dan's camp. Rode to and from Crossfit before doing workout.

02-10 Friday
Prescribed: 1h30m Z1-Z3 (HR, not power) focusing on riding in drops, plus 30min stretching session.
Actual: Life caught up to me today and I had to run a bunch of errands. Rides were cancelled.

02-11 Saturday
Prescribed: 4hr+ road ride (training camp) plus 30min post ride massage.
Actual: just under 5h30m on the road. Route was: up Kings Mountain, up West Alpine, up Old La Honda, up West Alpine. I descended dirt Alpine in the rain (not advised on road bike). Fun ride. Post ride massage was good idea.

02-12 Sunday
Prescribed: 4hr+ road ride (training camp) plus 30min post ride massage.
Actual: 4h50m on the road. Up Old La Honda, up Haskins, up Tunitas. Felt surprisingly good. In post ride massage we theorized that my rectus femoris is tight, causing an anterior pelvic tilt and possibly the cause of back pain on long rides.

Weekly summary:
Time: 20 h 01 min
Distance: 278 miles
TSS: 1596

(Distance and TSS only incorporate rides for which I have power data.)

I've copied this report to my blog at http://bikefleet.blogspot.com/, where you can also find past updates, race reports, and more!

Thanks for reading.

--Jose